Spring 2017 Practice Period at City Center: Online/Commuter Participation
Upright and Complete: Practicing with Noble Speech
View full description of Spring 2017 Practice Period at City Center
Led by Central Abbess Eijun Linda Cutts
May 2 – June 10
The challenges and joys of the practice of right speech are great. What a wonderful way to express our intention and care for our relationships and our world. During this six-week Spring practice period, we will explore the precepts and the Buddha’s teachings of Right Speech as well as the essential practice of listening. During this time of upheaval and great change it is more important than ever to sit regularly and settle ourselves, taking care of our body, speech and mind, and to meet, listen, talk, and practice with others fully, fearlessly, and skillfully. There is no better time than now to take up and take care of your practice.
Linda will also be teaching a 5-week class on the practice period theme beginning Tuesday, May 9, which is included in the cost of the online/commuter participation fee.
Students in this program may participate entirely from home through our online practice period offerings, or may attend one or more practice events in person. Online practice participants may attend practice period events at the member rate. Events other than the Practice Period Tea and Linda's class must be registered for and paid for separately.
- Practice period tea is scheduled every Wednesday, May 3 – June 7, 5:30 – 6:30 pm.
- There will be two one-day sittings, May 6 and June 10
- The practice period concludes with a three-day sesshin, June 8 – 10 (which includes the second one-day sitting)
The following offerings will be available to online participants through a forum set up for practice period participants:
- Live-streamed dharma talks on Wednesdays and Saturdays which will be available to watch at any time.
- Audio recordings of sesshin talks.
- Access to the video of the practice period class “Upright and Complete: Practicing with Noble Speech.”
- Downloads of handouts, readings, and exercises.
- The opportunity to interact in small groups via video conference and to join an online zendo.
- Interactive meetings with Eijun Linda Cutts and other participants via conference calls.
- One-on-one practice discussions with a senior student.
- Opportunity to have an online sangha relationship with other students.
Access to the practice period website will be provided in the weeks prior to the practice period, after payment of the online participation fee (see below). See the online participation practice period application below for recommendations on how to participate from home.
Online/Commuter Participation Fee: $99 general; $89 current members; $79 limited income. Some partial scholarships available.
Online/Commuter Participation Practice Period Application Process:
1. Download the Online/Commuter participation practice period application [Word]/[PDF].
2. Email your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Pay your participation fee here:
Please sign up early, in order to best support the program. Registration is open through the beginning of the practice period. The first two events are the Wednesday, May 3, 7:30pm Dharma talk by Eijun Linda Cutts and the Saturday, May 6, one-day sitting.
Inquiries and comments may be directed to email@example.com.
About Registration, Scholarships, and Cancellations