Fall 2018 Practice Period at Tassajara
The 102nd Practice Period at Tassajara
Led by Green Gulch Farm Abbess Furyu Schroeder
September 25 – December 20
Application deadline is July 17
The Path Is Enlightenment; Enlightenment Is the Path
- The Life of the Buddha by Bhikkhu Nanamoli
- Inside Vasubhandu’s Yogacara by Ben Connelly
- The Heart Attack Sutra by Karl Brunnholzl
Tassajara's ninety-day practice period follows the traditional Soto Zen monastic schedule. The practice period is a rare opportunity for experienced practitioners to participate in the intensive practice at Zen Mountain Center (Zenshinji).
The following prerequisites for the Fall 2018 practice period at Tassajara must be fulfilled in total for your application to be considered:
- Completion of at least one two-month residential practice period at San Francisco Zen Center’s City Center or Green Gulch Farm
- Commitment to complete the full three months
- Submitting a complete application before the deadline
- Tuition paid in full before the start of the practice period or use of a practice period credit earned before arrival and approved by the applications committee
Practice Period Fees*: $3,600 US (plus $30 application fee), which covers room, board and tuition. Payment in full is required BEFORE arrival at Tassajara unless another arrangement is made in advance with the director. Unfortunately, we are not able to offer financial scholarships for practice periods. However, a scholarship (which includes room, board, and tuition) may be earned by participating in the Work Practice Apprenticeship Program during the summer before the practice period.
*As the basic operating expenses for the practice period are in excess of $4,500 per student, please consider donating more if you are able.
The $30 application fee is required for applicants who are not currently in residence at SFZC and must be paid at the same time the application is submitted. All applications and fees must be submitted electronically.
SEASONAL WEATHER CONCERNS
Based on our past experience, we expect that the seasonal rains will bring additional challenges to the monastery. These challenges include potential flooding as well as debris flow, slides, and erosion risks along the Tassajara road and throughout the valley. Due to these potential hazards, Tassajara practice period participants have been requested to sign a Waiver of Liability -- which is included as a part of the online application form.
Important Practice Period Documents:
- Practice Period Guidelines–Shingi
- Winter Waiver
- What to Bring: Word / PDF
- Tassajara Zen Monastic Schedule
Application deadline: July 17, 2018.
For further information, please contact Kōgen Dito-Keith, assistant to Fu Schroeder, at email@example.com.