1. Read and reflect on Tassajara’s Summer Guidelines
. All applicants must agree to observe these guidelines. They are a vital part of our community life together.
2. Fill out the Summer Work Practice Application
. Note that the minimum stay is five days. We will contact you about availability within four weeks.
For the Zen Kitchen Apprenticeship Program
, you will also need to complete the Kitchen Apprenticeship Application
If you would like to apply as a Work Practice Apprentice, please note that on your application and include a more thorough personal statement as well as at least one letter of recommendation.
3. Enclose your application fee, addressed to “Tassajara Zen Mountain Center." There is a one-time $75 nonrefundable fee for first-time students and a $25 refundable fee for returning students.
Note: You may wait to send your application fee until you have been accepted.
4. Mail your application after January 1 to:
Tassajara Zen Mountain Center
39171 Tassajara Rd.
Carmel Valley, CA 93924
5. To check on the status of your application or to check road conditions and transportation
options, please contact Keith Meyerhoff at our Jamesburg House (which is 14 miles from Tassajara and where the paved road ends): or 831-659-2229.
6. Once you have been accepted, please plan to arrive by noon on the day you are scheduled
to arrive so that you can receive orientation and settle in during the afternoon. If there is any change in your plans, it is extremely important that you notify us immediately. Also, please keep us up to date with a telephone number where you can be reached as we may want to contact you before you arrive.
* The refundable application fee was instated because changes and cancellations have a tremendous impact on Tassajara’s functioning due to the limited spaces available and the fact that once a student is confirmed, that space is no longer available for other students who want to come.