1. Read and reflect on Tassajara’s Summer Guidelines
. All applicants must agree to observe these guidelines. They are a vital part of our community life together.
2. Fill out the Summer Work Practice Application
. Note that the minimum stay is five nights. We will contact you about availability within two to three weeks.
For the Zen Kitchen Apprenticeship Program
, you will also need to complete the Kitchen Apprenticeship Application
If you would like to apply as a Work Practice Apprentice, please note that on your application and include a more thorough personal statement as well as at least one letter of recommendation.
3. There is a one-time $75 nonrefundable fee for first-time students and a $25 refundable fee for returning students. However, please wait to send the fee until we have confirmed that there is space for you.
4. Mail your application after January 15 to:
Tassajara Zen Mountain Center
39171 Tassajara Rd.
Carmel Valley, CA 93924
5. To check on check road conditions and transportation options, please contact Keith Meyerhoff at our Jamesburg House (which is 14 miles from Tassajara and where the paved road ends), at or 831-659-2229.
6. Once you have been accepted, please plan to arrive by noon on the day you are scheduled
to arrive so that you can receive orientation and settle in during the afternoon. If there is any change in your plans, it is extremely important that you notify us immediately. Also, please keep us up to date with a telephone number where you can be reached as we may want to contact you before you arrive.