Spring 2018 Online Practice Period
Students in the online program participate through our practice period website. This offering is designed to reach those who cannot participate on-site on a regular basis and need to study on their own schedule. Students who live locally or are visiting the San Francisco area are invited to join us for open temple events such as zazen, ceremonies, dharma talks and the Tuesday night class. All paid events at City Center are available to the participants at the member rate.
Wise Effort in Everyday Life: Harmonizing Stillness and Activity
Led by Keiryu Liên Shutt and Tenzen David Zimmerman
May 1 – June 9, 2018
Register online [available soon] or call us at 888.743.9362 or (local) 415.354.0360
Applications due by May 8
Participants can engage in the practice period in one of three ways:
About the Spring 2018 Practice Period
Zen practice is often seen as “busy” and full of “correct” doing and effort. At the same time, we’ve heard, like the above quote, how we don’t need to “effort’ so much. How are we to practice with these seemingly contradictory teachings?
During this Spring Practice Period, we’ll explore teachings on Wise Effort as both prescriptive and descriptive. When can it be taken as instructive and when can it be inspirational? What did the Buddha say regarding Wise Effort? How have teachers, past and present, translated these teachings to us as instructions or encouragements to the “craft” of meditation or to our relationships, work, and the world/society?
At times of turbulence, it’s sometimes hard to figure out what one needs to do. When do we rise from the stillness, “getting off our seats”, and move into activity to “go into the world”? Come explore with us how these two are not diametrical. Harmonizing the stillness of “non-doing” with the activity of “doing” is possible with Wise Effort.
This Spring Practice Period is a chance to develop and deepen your practice together with others in a supportive environment and through activities including daily sitting, study, and weekly sangha discussions. Weekly events include classes, dharma talks, and weekly small group video calls with a practice leader.
The practice period concludes with a three-day sesshin, beginning the evening of Wednesday, May 6 and ending on Saturday, May 9. As with all of the dharma talks, will be posted to the website the same day for the online participants.
As part of the practice period, Lien Shutt and David Zimmerman will also teach a five-week class, Practicing with Wise Effort: Stillness and Activity in Everyday Life, on Tuesdays, 7:30 – 9 pm, May 8 through June 6.
The following offerings will be available to online participants:
- Live-streamed Dharma talks on Saturdays which will be available to watch at any time.
- Audio recordings of sesshin talks and Wednesday Dharma talks.
- Access to the livestream feed of the practice period class, Practicing with Wise Effort: Stillness and Activity in Everyday Life. The recorded video will be available for download for those who cannot attend live.
- Downloads of handouts, readings, and exercises.
- The opportunity to interact small groups via video conference.
- An online zendo to sit with others each morning Monday through Friday.
- Interactive meetings with the practice period leaders Keiryu Liên Shutt and Tenzen David Zimmerman and other participants via video conference calls.
- Opportunity to have an online sangha relationship with other students via the practice period website.
Online Participation Fee: $129 general; $116 current members; $103 limited income.
Access to the practice period website will be provided a week prior to the practice period. See the online participation practice period application below for recommendations on how to participate from home.
- Please review the Pure Standards for Residential Zen Training.
- Deadline for online applications is May 8.
- Some partial scholarships are available; please review this page for more information
Online Practice Period Application Process:
- Download the Online participation practice period application.
- Email your completed application to email@example.com.
- Register Online [available soon] or call our toll-free number 888.743.9362 or our local number 415.475.9362 to register and pay.