Spring 2018 Practice Period at Green Dragon Temple
Studying the Mind
Co-led by Abiding Abbess Fu Schroeder and Zenju Earthlyn Manuel
February 13 – April 10, 2018
“You say you’re innocent while clutching the loot.” —Wumen
This practice period offers an opportunity for beginning and experienced students to participate with others in an intense period of residential practice that centers around daily zazen, work, and study. Weekly events include lectures, services of bowing and chanting, classes, oryoki meals (formal meals in the meditation hall), and tea with the practice period leader. Students meet individually with the practice period leader and/or with other practice leaders several times throughout the retreat. We ask participants to commit to the entire eight weeks, which includes two one-day sittings and concludes with a seven-day sesshin.
The theme of this practice period will be “Studying the Mind,” and we will consider especially the “Mind Only”/Yogacara Buddhist teachings and tools that support that study. We will explore what arises within our experiences with each other in relationship to the times in which we are living. What is self and what is other?To Apply:
- Please review the Practice Period Guidelines [Word] / [PDF] before submitting your application.
- Complete a practice period application: [Word] / [PDF]. (See below for application fee.)
- Applications deadline is December 15, 2017.
- For questions or information, contact Jiryu Rutschman-Byler at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (415) 354-0427.
- Practice period fee: $2181. This fee is paid after acceptance through application. The notice of acceptance to the practice period will be accompanied by information on paying the fee.
- Non-refundable application fee: $30. This fee can be paid by check or call the Green Gulch Farm main office at 415.383.3134 or the SFZC Reservations Office at 888.743.9362 or 415.475.9362.