Spring 2017 Practice Period at Green Dragon Temple
Host Within the Host
Co-led by Abiding Abbess Fu Schroeder and Dharma Teacher Meiya Wender
February 14 – April 11, 2017
Practice period offers an opportunity for beginning and experienced students to participate in an intense period of residential practice that centers around daily zazen, work and study. Weekly events include lectures, classes, oryoki meals, and tea with the practice period leader. Students meet individually with the practice period leader and/or with other practice leaders several times throughout the retreat. We ask participants to commit to the entire eight weeks, which includes two one-day sittings and concludes with a seven-day sesshin.
During this Practice Period we will be studying the primary relationship at the heart of Buddhist teaching – the relationship between the host and the guest. "Host and guest" can be viewed on many levels, such as the face-to-face meeting of teacher and student; the meeting of our individual consciousness with the world around us; and ultimately as the realization of the Buddha’s awakening in which host and guest are no longer seen as two – there in the expression “host within the host."
Along with studying significant teachings on the concept of “host and guest," such as the Five Ranks and the Song of the Jewel Mirror Samadhi, the Practice Period will offer the direct experience of host and guest through the traditional practices of Chado, the Japanese Way of Tea. Practice Period participants will have the opportunity to study the roles of host and guest in the tea room and explore how these practices were both historically shaped by Zen practice, and inform and enrich our practice today.To Apply:
- Please review the Practice Period Guidelines [Word] / [PDF] before submitting your application.
- Complete a practice period application: [Word] / [PDF]. (See below for application fee.)
- Applications deadline extended to February 1, 2017.
- For questions or information, contact Jiryu Rutschman-Byler at email@example.com or by phone at (415) 354-0427.
- Practice period fee: $2181. This fee is paid after acceptance through application. The notice of acceptance to the practice period will be accompanied by information on paying the fee.
- Non-refundable application fee: $30. This fee can be paid by check or by using the button below: