Chinese Zen Ancestors
led by Abiding Abbess Furyu Schroeder
February 10 - April 7, 2015
To this day a visitor to South Peak Temple in Hunan Province will see a sign inscribed over the main gate announcing that one is entering an ancestor temple of the Soto Zen School (Cao-Dong). During this practice period we will honor the teachings of our Soto Zen Ancestors in China, beginning with the arrival of Bodhidharma from the West.
Practice period offers an excellent opportunity for beginning and more experienced students to join an intense period of residential practice, including daily zazen, lectures, classes, work, and close contact with teachers. We ask participants to commit to the entire period. Practice period includes two one-day sittings
and concludes with a seven-day sesshin
. To Apply:
- Please review the Practice Period Guidelines [Word] / [PDF] before submitting your application.
- Complete a practice period application: [Word] / [PDF]. (See below for application fee.)
- Deadline for applications: Friday, December 12, 2014.
- For questions or information, contact Myoyu Costelloe at 415.354.0427 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Practice period fee: $1975. This fee is paid after acceptance through application. The notice of acceptance to the practice period will be accompanied by information on paying the fee.
- Non-refundable application fee: $30. This fee can be paid by check or by using the Register Online button.
Furyu Nancy Schroeder (Abiding Abbess, Green Gulch Farm Zen Center)
A resident of Zen Center for over 35 years, in 2014 Furyu Nancy Schroeder became abiding abbess at Green Gulch Farm Zen Center, where she lives with her partner, Dr. Grace Dammann, and their daughter, Sabrina. Fu has held most of the monastic positions at Zen Center and has been an active supporter of programs for children, people of color, the gay and lesbian community, and the interfaith community. In 2008 she was elected to the Marin Women's Hall of Fame, and in 2010 she was appointed to the Board of the Marin Community Foundation. She received dharma transmission from Tenshin Reb Anderson in 1999.