Unless otherwise noted, sittings begin at 5:40 am (please plan to arrive before 5:30 am) and end at either 6 pm or 9 pm. 2014 Dates
November 15 Online registration for the one-day sitting will close at noon on the Thursday before the sitting.
One-day sittings offer traditional Soto Zen all-day meditation practice. In order to understand the nature of our formal retreats, and to be clear about the details of the practice, please review a typical one-day sitting schedule. We ask those who attend one-day sittings to commit to participating in the complete schedule.
If you will need a chair in the zendo for all or part of the day, please indicate this when you sign up.
Formal oryoki meals are served in the zendo. Meals are included in the cost of the one-day sitting; however, you will need an oryoki set. You may bring your own set, purchase one, or rent a set for the day.
- To purchase your own oryoki set, please add the "Purchase Oryoki Set" fee to your online reservation. Please contact the City Center Ino to check on availability of sets.
- To rent an oryoki set for the day, please add the "Rent Oryoki Set" fee to your online reservation.
The day will include a work period. You should bring clothes to work in. Some of the work may be strenuous. Please let us know if you have limitations on your ability to work. Orientation
If this is your first one-day sitting at City Center, please attend the oryoki instruction and orientation on the Friday evening before the sitting.
Oryoki instruction is Friday at 5:00 pm
Friday dinner is at 6:30 pm; cost for Friday dinner is by donation
Orientation is Friday at 7:30 pm
Please indicate the following when registering:
- Is this your first formal one-day sitting at Zen Center?
- Will you need to use a chair throughout the day?
- Will you need to buy or rent an oryoki set?
- Will you need accommodation at City Center in addition to attending the sitting? Please call one of the numbers below.
Fee: $70; $63 current SFZC members; $56 limited income. The fee includes meals during the sitting. Some partial scholarships available. (About Registration, Scholarships, and Cancellations.)
To Register: Use the Register Online button above for the date you wish to attend. Or call our toll free number (888.743.9362) or local number (415.475.9362). Online registration for the one-day sitting will close at noon on the Thursday before the sitting.
Optional accommodation on Friday night: $25, shared room; contact the shika (guest manager) at email@example.com or call 415.354.0395.