Winter 2019 Practice Period at City Center – Online Option 1/23 – 3/23
Students in the online program participate via our Online Practice Period website. Students who live locally or are visiting the San Francisco area are invited to join us for open temple events such as zazen, ceremonies, dharma talks and the Monday night class. However, this practice period is designed to reach those who cannot participate on-site on a regular basis and need to study on their own schedule.
All paid events at City Center are available to the participants at the member rate.
The Heart of the Zen Way
Led by Senior Dharma Teacher Ryushin Paul Haller
January 23 – March 23, 2019
Register until January 23.
Participants can engage in the practice period in one of three ways:
About the Winter 2019 Practice Period
A Practice Period is a traditional intensive training period common in the schools of Buddhism and varying between six to twelve weeks in length. There are three practice periods offered onsite each year at our City Center temple—Winter, Spring, and Fall.
The theme of the Winter Practice Period is “The Heart of the Zen Way.” The heart, both the essence and the source of wholeheartedness, is enlivened by our sincere effort. Moment by moment sincere heart-felt effort creates the Way.
Although the presence that experiences each moment requires no special abilities or accomplishments, sustaining it illuminates the nature of being and liberation. Fear subsides, the heart is healed and life blossoms. The Wisdom Beyond Wisdom Heart Sutra, the traditional Mahayana Buddhist articulation of this Way, describes this practice through negations: “no path, no insight, no attainment, and nothing to attain ...” It invites each practitioner to let go of all fixed ideas and to realize directly the wisdom and compassion of liberation. Throughout this practice period, we will endeavor to engage the teachings of the Heart Sutra and experience directly how they provide the basis for traditional Zen practices. These practices challenge us to experience the interbeing of the circumstances of our lives while not getting stuck in the reality they create.
As part of the practice period, Paul Haller will also teach a seven-week class,
The Heart of the Way of Zen, on Mondays, 7:30 – 9 pm, January 28 – March 11.
This Online Winter Practice Period is a chance to develop and deepen your practice together with others in a supportive environment and through activities including daily sitting, study, discussion with the teachers, and weekly sangha discussions.
The online option includes:
- Livestream Dharma talks on Saturdays which will be available to watch at any time.
- Audio recordings of additional Dharma talks given on Wednesday evenings and during sesshin
- Access to the Livestream feed of the practice period class, The Heart of the Way of Zen. The recorded video will be available for download for those who cannot attend live.
- Downloads of handouts, readings, and exercises.
- An online zendo to sit with others each morning Monday through Friday.
- Interactive meetings with the practice leaders and other participants via video conference calls.
- Opportunity to have an online sangha relationship with other students via the practice period website.
Online Registration & Questionnaire
- or call our toll-free number 888.743.9362 or our local number 415.475.9362 to register and pay for the practice period.
- And complete this Online Questionnaire.
Online Participation Fee: $179 general; $161 current members; $143 limited income.
Access to the practice period website will be provided a week prior to the practice period.
Deadline for registration is January 23. Some partial scholarships are available; please review this page for more information